Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

It says "...freedom of...", not "...freedom from...".

Nolite te bastardes carburundorum!

"It's amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness. People need to be fed, medicated, educated, clothed, and sheltered, and if we're compassionate we'll help them, but you get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right. There is great joy in helping people, but no joy in doing it at gunpoint." - Penn Jillette

Friday, February 29, 2008

Owlish

I caught a glimpse of the owl this morning.

I know, big deal. Well, it was a bit of a big deal, since yesterday he was nowhere to be seen. Usually, he'll hang out on the end of his branch for a bit during the day - maybe just a few minutes, but I swear, it's like he's waiting for me to see him and smile before he goes back in. Yesterday, he didn't show up, and I was worried. Especially when the blue jays were landing on his branch with impunity.

I told mum I hoped he hadn't gotten tree-sick and fallen off his branch or something. She laughed, and so did I...I mean, come on, can't you just see it? Poor little owl, turning a little green and...plop! It's been so windy of late, I know he's had some wild rides. I think yesterday he hung out by the trunk because it's quieter there. Smart bird.

I can still see him, head tucked down, eyes closed, perched in his usual place. I must say, my heart lifted a little to see him there.

Here comes the wind again.

1 comment:

foolery said...

I hear our owls at night, but I rarely see them. What a treat to be able to watch an owl all day!