Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Three Hours Later

I picked up the van this morning, and wow...what a difference a new compressor makes - suddenly, the A/C blows cold air! Imagine!

I owe Mum a huge thanks - she funded the fix, else I would be forlornly riding with bottles of frozen water (yes, that would be ice) in my armpits and between my getaway sticks - that's how I survived the summers in Clementine (first car, Chevy Malibu Classic with 305 v8, arrr, arrr, arrrrghhhh), who had no A/C and only two windows that opened. I loved that car... But it's not how I care to make my way along these days.

I buzzed home, got the roast started for tonight's dinner, loaded T and the Evil Genius into the now delightfully arctic van, and headed for the courthouse.

We hurried up and waited.

Bird played with the toys available outside the Family Legal Information Center (FLIC, for short). I remembered to bring some Origami paper in with me and made flowers and cranes that flap their wings, and T held down a rowdy bench so others waiting in line could sit as well. Bird appointed himself entertainment director and began racing cars along the carpet for our amusement, announcing the races as he went.

Finally, after watching others come and go, meeting an engaging toddler who played with Bird for a bit, and wondering if maybe I should have packed a picnic, or at least a pillow, we were brought into the tiny office, shown what to change, correct, or initial, and permitted to sign at the bottom, thankyouverymuch.

It wasn't over, though. Nope. Just the beginning. We then had to cart the papers to the Clerk of Court, three copies (I think I herniated something carrying it all), for a case number, then collect a Rule Nisi (and, lovely people in the clerk's office, it's pronounced Neesee, not Nighsigh, unless my Latin diction professor lied), go back up to the FLIC floor where the judges reside, collect a court date on the Rule Nisi, than back down to the clerk's office to file the Rule Nisi with the rest of the papers...

Whew.

Up, down, up, down...seems about right...

After three hours, though, the end is in sight...we have only to take a class (and that's a topic for another day) and show up at our hearing, and the divorce will be final.

We left the courthouse feeling like yo-yos suddenly without strings.

So...twelve hours or so of paperwork, several courthouse walking marathons, a four hour class, and a few hours in court...and more than eight years is undone.

Hardly seems adequate, does it?

5 comments:

HermitJim said...

I've often thought that if it were as hard to get married as it is to get divorced, there would be fewer married people in the world.

It's a pain, but sometimes these things just take time...

Sorry it came down to this!

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Hey... Hermit might be on to something...

Sure would cull a lot of McMarraiges, wouldn't it?

Magpie said...

Wow - from my perspective that is a very quick and painless divorce. All the ones I've known have taken forever and a day, not a few hours and a class.

Good luck.

Piratedred said...

Trust me Magpie, it is never painless...

Kyddryn said...

Mister Hermit, sir, you may be on to something...some folks marry with less thought then they give their living room furniture.

Cygnus...yes, it would...

Mizz Magpie, thanks for your kind thoughts...I think we are the exception, not the rule, in that we are determined to make certain our son doesn't suffer through this with us.

Pirate, no...not painless at all...