Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Slumgullion

Long, long ago, when I was a lass (Hush, there were not dinosaurs roaming the landscape!), Mum made up a dinner out of some leftovers, odds and ends, and some produce from her tiny, not-very-productive garden. The garden tried its best, but it was fighting a losing battle against red clay soil, too much shade, and indifference. She named the dish "Slumgullion".

This happy combination of this-and-that has turned into one of my favourite summer meals. I haven't made it often, because it has a few things in it that T doesn't care for, and I'm too lazy to cook more than one meal at a time.

Last night, he had plans to spend the night with a friend, so I thought I'd make Slumgullion for dinner, and get a blog out of it, too!

The cast (to feed two folks...the recipe easily expands to feed more):

1/2 Summer sausage (or any kind of sausage-type meaty goodness)
2 medium Potatoes
Onion
1 Zucchini
1 Yellow Squash
2 -3 Campari (smallish) Tomatoes
Butter
Salt
Pepper


Additional Players (optional):
Bell peppers, Mrs. Dash seasoning, fresh herbs, garlic, hot peppers, and just about anything you can pull from the garden that you think would go well in this mess.
Aaaand...action!

Slice the suasage, as thick or thin as you like. Layer it on the bottom of a deep frying pan. Slice the potatoes and layer them on top of the sausage. Slice some onion, as much as you like, and layer it on. Next comes the zucchini......then the yellow squash... ... and finally the tomatoes. Dot with butter, a little salt and pepper......cover, and cook on medium-low heat until the potatoes are done, stirring only sporadically and very gently, if at all - sometimes, I just walk away from it and wait until the smell drives me crazy before I open the lid.
Mmm...

I know, it looks a mess...but trust me...mmm...

Serve with corn bread, or buscuits, or homemade bread, or just as it is. Yum!

8 comments:

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

When do we eat???

Michelle Roebuck said...

Mmmmmm is RIGHT! Yeah - when do we eat?!?

(P.S. - Beautiful photos!)

HermitJim said...

I have to say...the pictures alone make me hungry!

You did good, girl!

Kyddryn said...

Cygnus, when can you get here? About an hour after that...

Gypsy, love, you KNOW when dinner is served around here, and can drive the route in your sleep...so...come on!!

Mister Hermit, Sir, you are welcome to my hospitality any time...come 'n' gitit...

M said...

Hmm, I tired to post a comment to this but nothing is coming through, so, if you get this an like 6 other attemps from me please forgive me for the multiable posts!

M said...

((pitiful whimper)) ohh, so hungry now. That looks yummy. I could skip the tomatos, right? Add some pepper... *sigh*
I loved they way you took a picture of each step. And, 'dot with butter'. *laughs* You've been watching Paula Dean, haven't you? The woman throws in alike a pound of butter in something and says airly "A little butter makes everything better!"

Kyddryn said...

M, sorry for your trouble, but happy your comment made it through... Re: Paula Dean - I haven't watched her over much, in fact hardly at all...but I adore her, and now I have even more reason! Glad you popped in...thanks!

foolery said...

Oh, I am SO making this tonight. Born the way GLOP was born, and it's a family favorite.

Slumgullion -- just committing the name to memory. Thanks!