Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Hitting The Wall

I'm an old hand at these events. I've been doing them for years. Varying places, varying lengths of time, varying people, but there's a sameness about them.

Arrive, set up, make a nest to roost in, figure out where I have to be, and when, and get on with it. I enjoy the down time, when I have it. I enjoy activity, when I have it. I try to be fully in each moment, not worrying about what's next in the day.

There comes a point at each event, though, where I hit the wall.

At a two-day event, it's usually right about when I'm packing to come home anyway, so it's fine - I just plod on with the packing and get on home.

At these longer events, though...it's usually Wednesday. Halfway through, I'm exhausted (although in a good way, it's still exhausted) and ready to be done, but I'm only halfway. Something inside me whimpers - it wants to be home again. Home.

Home is where the heart is.

Where's my heart?

I have hit the wall, smacked right into it, hard. I'll start packing tomorrow evening because I always start a little early, because I want to be on the road as soon as possible. If I can, I'll have everything ready to load into the trailer before I go to bed tomorrow night.

Even better, I could start tonight...

But maybe I'll head down to the drum circle instead...be here, present in these moments. Because I've hit the wall before, and will again, and I know I will get past it and move on down the road.

And I do have a destination in mind, this time...I'll give you a hint...it isn't a wall...it's a thing with feathers...

4 comments:

HermitJim said...

Sometimes the best part of any time away is coming back home...!

Kit said...

"There's always a moment on a trip when you decide you want to go home. Fight it. Because beyond that moment lies the best parts."

- John Mayer, on Twitter

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

Y'Know... I'm kinda partial to feathers m'self...

;D

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

but then... there are too many petals to stop and poke ones nose in to... too many flowers...

**sighs**

slainte!