Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

From Meme to You

This is a variation on the "Things I've Done" Meme that I tripped over at Burlap Condoms. I wasn't going to do it, but my stupid brain wouldn't let it go...so, for your amusement...

Things I've Done (are in bold)(now with 30% more parenthetical commentary!)

1. Started your own blog (Three, in fact. Excessive much??)
2. Slept under the stars (Many times, and I intend to again.)
3. Played in a band (Still going, after all these years.)
4. Visited Hawaii (Not yet...but hope springs eternal...)
5. Watched a meteor shower (Many times...often while sleeping under the stars.)
6. Given more than you can afford to charity
7. Been to Disneyworld/Disneyland
8. Climbed a mountain (Several, but not lately...maybe need to remedy that)
9. Held a praying mantis (They are so cool!)
10. Sang a solo (I will not correct the grammar on a meme...I will not correct the grammar on a meme...)
11. Bungee jumped (I wouldn't mind...in about fifty pounds...)
12. Visited Paris (Avoid the taxis...if you want to live...)
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch (Several, in fact.)
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning (Thank you, Campbell's Soup...)
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown your own vegetables (And I will again, too...)
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France (I never got to a single museum when I was there...thanks, Mimi...because art and history are so...passe...)
20. Slept on an overnight train (Atlanta to New Orleans)
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitch hiked (And I lived to tell the tale!!)
23. Taken a sick day when you were not ill (Spring Fever isn't an illness...who knew??)
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb (Held, heck - I pulled it out of its mama!)
26. Gone skinny dipping (Sorry for the mental image...but it was totally worth it and I would do it again.)
27. Run a marathon (Yeah...about that...)
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice (Maybe in another life...)
29. Seen a total eclipse (Lunar and Solar...awesome...)
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset (And hope to have many more to enjoy.)
31. Hit a home run (Once, by accident, but I'm counting it!)
32. Been on a cruise (Several, going again in Feblueberry.)
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person (I'd like to...about two-hundred years ago, before tourism trashed the joint)
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors (Unless you mean before they came to the US, in which case...not yet.)
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught yourself a new language (Well...partly...I'm still learning Spanish and ASL...)
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied (I've had enough, and more than enough, and I'm fine with wanting from time to time if it means I get to keep my soul)
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person (With my luck, it'd fall on me.)
39. Gone rock climbing (Not the kind with ropes and pitons and dangling over a precipice...but I have clambered up large stones before.)
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David (Only in pictures.)
41. Sung karaoke (And my knees shake every time. Go figure.)
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant (Several times - and likely will again. No one should go hungry if I have a dollar in my pocket or a can of beans in the cupboard.)
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance (Twice in my life, and if I never have that ride again, it'll be fine with me.)
47. Had your portrait painted (Well...caricature, anyway.)
48. Gone deep sea fishing (I liked the deep, and the sea...but the fishing was...meh...)
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
52. Kissed in the rain (Hope springs eternal...)
53. Played in the mud (Still do...)
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie (No, but my Mum was.)
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business (And finished it, too.)
58. Taken a martial arts class (Threw a 200 pound man over my shoulder, too...cool...)
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies (And I wasn't even a Girl Scout...or her Mum...either)
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason (Well...I sent them to myself...but that counts, right??)
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving (I'd like to do this, one day...)
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check (Oopsie...)
68. Flown in a helicopter (I was all of six or seven, flew under the Mt. Hope bridge in Newport, awesome!)
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy (I still have most of my stuffed animals from when I was a kid...and my barbies...and Legos.)(Is that sad??)
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial (At least...I think I did...it's a little hazy...)
71. Eaten Caviar (Bleh. Seriously. Bleh!)
72. Pieced a quilt (Several.)
73. Stood in Times Square (I may have...I was in New York City as a child, but all I recall is the hotel was freakin' huge, the city was noisy, crowded, and busy, and we went up the Empire State Building in those terrifying elevators)
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been laid off from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone (Several, including my skull. Whee.)
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle (It wasn't seeding, it was mostly coasting)
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person (Some day...)
80. Published a book (Some day...I hope...)
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had your picture in the newspaper (When I was six, for a school play. More recently, as part of an online, multi-media report on Solstice celebrations. Famous, me.)
85. Kissed a stranger at midnight on New Year’s Eve
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating (I have raised, butchered, and cooked my own critters. Now, I shop at Publix.)
88. Had chickenpox (I had one pock. One.)
89. Saved someone’s life (Several times, and it never grows old.)
90. Sat on a jury (Not for lack of effort.)
91. Met someone famous (Several.)
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit (Boring.)
98. Owned a cell phone
99. Been stung by a bee (Three times in my life, all my own fault. Poor bees...)

So...play along, or not, it's all good. OCD satisfied, I can now get back to housework...whee...

4 comments:

Susan said...

Now that was fun! That meme is so full of potential blog stories you have material for months!!! Tell me more...

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

My head hurts!! TOO LONG!!! I'll read the last three tomorrow night...ha!

I gots some catching up to do... for, I ain't done so many of these yet.

G'Nite, M'Lady...

Michelle Roebuck said...

Can't (read: don't wanna) do the whole thing so... (Use your reference guide if needed.)

#5 - In the afterglow of youthful lovemaking.
#19 - Had to stand on tiptoe b/c there were too many other people and not enough time before our train left.
#20 - Amsterdam to Prague
#28 - Don't bother - the canals STINK!
#39 - You forgot crampons
#40 - Bump the pictures - David is AWESOME!
#49 - IF it's permitted, skip straight to the chapel (too much information overload in the Vatican Musee itself)
#52 - In the parking lot after seeing "Titanic"
#63 - YES!
#69 - NO!

(Ha ha - There's a joke somewhere in that last one...)

Kyddryn said...

Susan, there's a thought...should I ever feel at a loss for blog-fodder...I never really thought I'd done much in life until I took these memes...

Cygnus, which ones did you miss? Perhaps I could be pursuaded to help you finish the list...

Gypsy, you wench, you're making me work for it?? Just you wait, missy...