Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Molasses Wheat

The first loaf is cooling on the rack- I had a slow start this morning (following a night far later than I wanted, but one cannot force sleep. Morpheus has a lot to answer for, next time he's around) and took my time prepping the ingredients, reading this recipe several times, as it's the first time I've made it.

The loaf is about as big around as a dinner plate, and not very high, maybe three or four inches. It's meant to be baked in a loaf pan, but I prefer to make peasant loaves rather than sandwich loaves. I carved a sort of primitive wheat stalk on top, in honor of the day - it's no Rembrandt, but what do you expect from a non-linear artist with only a knife and bread dough to work with?
The next bread is rising as I type, white (well, unbleached) bread. After that, banana bread, and then I'll start over. There will be corn bread in the offing, too...and the baking may spill over into tomorrow, depending on how much I produce today.
The house smells grand, I've loaded the CD player with a variety of good music, and every now and then I pause in my activities to have a dance with the Evil Genius. There are worse ways to spend time celebrating abundance!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great time!
I wish I had smell-o-vision
because there is nothing more heavenly than the smell of bread being made, especially wheat bread!

Peace - Rene

Kyddryn said...

Mizz Rene, next time I do a bake, I'll see if I can bottle the scent and mail it to ya... I'd offer to mail the bread, but it has to be overnighted (uness you like fuzzy green bread), and today? I discovered how painful that expense can be! Ouch!!