Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Clean(ish) Getaway

Whew.

Where's my cabana boy? I need a frosty beverage.

Yesterday I tackled the Evil Genius' room.

I'm a poor housekeeper (now there's a magazine I bet would sell like hotcakes - Poor Housekeeping - a magazine for everyone else!) and don't get on there as often as I should. I try to keep up with his mess, but I'm a mere mortal...and I think even Hercules would find Bird's room a challenge.

I had a moment of blogging flakiness, though, and forgot to photograph the "before" until I'd been at it a while, about halfway through.

Yes, his bed has a slide. Jealous? Yeah, me too...

The train table under the bed...the bane of my existence. I will be so very happy when we can be rid of it...it doesn't fit in his room, collects mess, and is awkward to clean around, under, over, and through.

It took most of yesterday and part of this morning to wade through all that - but only because I took frequent breaks to unbend and remind my spine and legs that, while we want to get into shape, pretzel isn't what I had in mind.

I could have finished last night, but decided that going to bed before three seemed like a good idea. I got it done before breakfast this morning.

I will eventually paint over the masterpieces on the walls...but for now, there's no point, he'll only doodle some more. Yes, I let him write on the walls - but only in his room. Why not? A couple of gallons of Killz and paint and it's all gone, and meanwhile, he has a little artistic freedom.

Hey, look, it's a floor!


I love Pergo - it's so forgiving.

I don't think he has enough toys. Most of this was on the floor, under the bed, under the dresser, on the train table...and that's not including the games and puzzles I sorted out, boxed, and stacked neatly in the closet.

Any bets as to how long it takes him to return his room to its natural state of chaos?

6 comments:

darsden said...

WOW, and I thought Rudey dog was bad about her toys..LMAO...YOU have worked your lil behind off missy.

I have never seen a bed with a slide how cool is that!

darsden said...

OH, and KUDOS to you Mom for letting your son be a kid.. what's a lil color in his room...key word HIS room :-)) love your attitude :-)

Holly said...

OMGGGGG....

I would have been so busted for writing on walls. OMG!

I think I need to go sit in the corner for something. I'm sure I've done something.

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

I thought you had your cabana boy a frosty beverage enn waite, Flower?

WOW!!! THAT was only HALF???

Dunno... I kinda like pretzels...

Slainte.

Cyg

Rob Houston said...

Are you available for appointments?

:x

Kyddryn said...

Mizz Darsden, I WISH I'd worked my tail off - I'd be out buying smaller jeans right now! I loved the bed - and more importantly so did the Evil Genius - as soon as we saw it. It actually came with a canopy that turns the top into a fort (complete with moon roof) and a frame that turns the underneath part into a fort, too - but he didn't like them and they cramped the small space, so we took them off. They can go back on when he's older (and hopefully has fewer toys) if he wants them. And yeah, I think a kid should be a kid - our house is a home, not a showplace.

Mizz Holly, you may write on the walls in the Evil Genius' room any time you like! I'll even provide several hundred markers, crayons, chalks, and pastels to choose from.

Cygnus, Sir - don't provoke me. I know where you live. Heh.

Rob, sugar, for you? I'd travel...but it'll cost ya at least a...hamburger, hamburger!!