Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Any Takers?

*This bit of random, meandering silliness brought to you by low blood sugar, lack of sleep, and a sudden inability to remember the kickin' post I wanted to write today (and you can't prove otherwise!).

I have been reading, which has prompted me to thought. Uh-oh.

Cue Disney music:
"LeFou, I'm afraid I've been thinking..."
"A dangerous pastime..."
"I know!"

So, yeah, I've been thinking about things. Political things. That smoke you smell? It's not the fires in California, the nuclear carrier George Washington, or even the barbecue joint down the street; it's the hamster wheel in my head going 'round and 'round at hitherto unheard of speeds.

My brain aches.

What have I been reading? How kind you are to indulge my nonsense by asking!

I've been reading about the Fair Tax. No fear, I won't even try to explain it here - I am barely comprehending the finer point myself, there's no way I can coherently explain it to anyone else.

It has prompted some thought, though, about our nation and its politics...including the politics of taxation.

I don't like what I see, and I would very much like it to change. I can't quite manage to understand how one percent of the populace pays thirty-something percent of the taxes, and that's OK?

Taxes aside, I often feel overwhelmed by the iniquity I see in our society - no one has satisfactorily explained to me how taking a person's home through condemnation and selling the land to WalMart is beneficial to anyone but WalMart.

So after all this reading and thinking, I have made a decision.

I am going to buy an island and start a benevolent dictatorship. Our national pastime will change seasonally and include cooking, quilting, lawn gnome placement, and the occasional bout of underwater basket-weaving. Dinner at six, don't be late.

We'll even set aside a prime bit of land for Mrs. G and her Women's Colony.

Any takers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I always wanted to do the same thing. I decided to start a school first then I will take over the Philippines and become the Benevolant Dictator. By the time I run for office, I would have an entire nation of students who went to my school and vote for me.

Maybe you can buy one of the 7,100islands in the Philippines.