Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Friday, June 20, 2008

Nooner

Our noon concert happens today. I like this one, because we sort of relax, hang out with the audience, and do everything by request. We sit on the edge of the stage and encourage everyone to bring drums, rattles, and other instruments so they can play and sing along...we call it "Be a member of the band for a day". It's always a blast.

Tonight is the candle labyrinth - the organizers of this event make a classic, seven pass labyrinth on a hillside, entirely of votives. They keep it lit all night so folks can walk it when they want. It's possibly one of the loveliest things I've ever seen, and I look forward to walking it every year. It's done in silence, only the sounds of the night and a few specially chosen musical instruments (flutes, hand drum, some small bells and a gone quietly played) at random intervals. There's a fire in the center where folks place offerings to burn - incense, bits of paper with hope, dreams, sorrows, songs, or poems written on them. It's deeply personal, and deeply beautiful. I like to walk it late, when most folks are asleep and I can contemplate the nature of life.

I always come away feeling refreshed, recharged, and very much loved by...well...the unnamed powers that are just beyond my ken - to call it God or Goddess would limit it to the label. It's a peaceful sort of feeling. I like to write my thoughts in a little book when I get back to camp - I have several years worth in one book, and I reread them when life feels too bloody chaotic.

I'll sleep very well tonight.

Hey, Bird, three more days 'til I'm home. I miss you, Evil Genius. You are my heart.

No comments: