Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Good Sweaty Fun

That ought to garner some interesting Google hits.

The fun I'm referring to happened yesterday evening. I took Bird outside so I could clean out the van and he could play. It was after six-o'clock, but it was still quite warm. I had hardly begun cleaning out the van before I was just dripping - it's true, you know, that saying 'It's not the heat, it's the humidity". While the temperature was probably only in the upper eighties, the humidity was quite high.

So I was all icky anyway, and irritated because some thoughtless lout had not only knocked my stage hat onto the garage floor, but also stepped on it...and this isn't a hat you can miss seeing. I was pissed. Luckily, it's a vintage hat, made of wool and sturdier than today's chapeaus, so I managed to mostly get it back into shape. Still mad.

Sorry, tangent.

Since I was already hot and sticky, I figured I could get in a little play time with the kid. We had a rousing game of soccer in the cul-de-sac, using his big beach ball. It was fun! I'm thinking that I'll be purchasing a proper soccer ball soon - that beach ball was a little unpredictable in its trajectory.

Y'all, it has been twenty-two years since I played any form of soccer - and I can still manage a decent kick! Bird had a blast because I was lofting the ball over his head and he could chase it down, and he loved trying to outrun me to kick the ball. We managed about half an hour before I had to call it quits - I am not known for my appreciation of being sweaty, and I needed to come in and make dinner, anyway.

Still, it was a lovely way to spend some time with the boy. Now that the days are getting brighter and hotter, we'll be indoors more...so we really need to maximize our outdoor time with more good, sweaty fun.

No comments: