Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Simple Sugar Cookies

In honor of the impending cookie swap/holiday baking madness, I thought I would share some of the fun with you.

These sugar cookies are simple, and the cook time determines whether they are soft or crunchy. I like 'em both ways.

The cast:
2 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Colored sugar (optional)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder - or just dump them in the sifter (I do). Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla (you can also go half vanilla, half peppermint flavor if you like - mmm, peppermint).

Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.

Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls.

Dip or roll in colored sugar if you're so inclined, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.



Bake 8 (soft) to 10 (crunchy) minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden.

Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.


Try one warm...ooooh, yummy (what miffinnk cookief??).

6 comments:

paisana said...

They're beautiful! I mean, bakery quality beautiful!

Can I add them to my recipe exchange link?

paisana said...

They're beautiful! I mean, bakery quality beautiful!

Can I add them to my recipe exchange link?

Kyddryn said...

Sure, sugar, it'd be my pleasure - and thanks!

Mrs. G. said...

Festive and yummy.

MereCat said...

I can't wait to start baking cookies with my kids. They are getting a play kitchen for Christmas, so that will be a good winter activity for us. Thanks for the recipe, too. I want to be the kind of mom that makes 'em from scratch!

Kyddryn said...

Mrs. G, thanks for popping in! I hope Mr. G's knee is recovering nicely.

MereCat, I let Bird help roll them in the sugar and he was delighted. Tonight we made Snickerdoodles and he got to help roll the dough balls AND dip them in the cinnamon/sugar - bliss!

Did you know that baking, and cooking in general, helps with math and science skills? It's educational and he doesn't even know it!