Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Peppermint Filled Failures and Other Frolics

The peppermint filled cookies did not turn out well. Unless, of course, on measures success by their ability to create peppermint scented, dome cookie volcanoes in one's oven, in which case I am to be congratulated!

About half of them actually turned out right, gooey peppermint-cream cheese goodness contained by lovely, light butter cookies - but someone forgot to photograph the whole process for blogging purposes. She'll be sacked as soon as baking season is over. Wait...baking season is never over. Whew. Saved by the timer!

I will try to get a picture of one of the non-failure cookies and post it with the recipe in the next day or so; right after I recover from the cookie swap (I swear, I brought home a bakery's worth of cookies - thank goodness I can send them of to work with T!!)(Otherwise, I would eat them all and have a ninety-acre ass after the holidays!). I didn't get any photos of that, either, because I didn't recharge any camera batteries, didn't bring the camera, and am an idiot. Someone else got some shots and has said he'll send them to me, so perhaps I will be able to show you the visual sugar shock another day.

After I got home with my tons of cookie fun, the whole family piled into the car and went stalking the mighty fur - tree, that is. We found a beauty! It's about to make a stand in the living room - I spent much of yesterday moving furniture just to make space for it.

This morning I am baking bread to bring to a birthday party - one loaf to hold the spinach dip I made last night and one to slice up and eat the dip with.

This afternoon, after partying with a two-year-old, we'll decorate the tree and sort out where to hang the stockings now that we don't have an entertainment center any more. Dang, I wish I had a fireplace!!


I'm sure they'll think of something.

2 comments:

RachelW said...

There's no such thing as a failed cookie-- unless it's burned to charcoal. And then it's no longer a cookie. It's a... bowel cleanser?

Cookies that don't work out, aesthetically speaking, are what we call "samples" around here. They are the ones for eating fresh out of the oven, hot, steaming, in their gooey goodness. Never, never call a cookie a failure. They have tender feelings. ;)

Magpie said...

I have an awesome peppermint cookie recipe - called Candy Cane Crisps. Want it?