Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Monday, December 8, 2008

I've Got Nothin', But I'm Making Somethin' Of It*

In so many ways, I've got nothin'. Sigh.

It's OK, though, because I have plenty of nothin', and even a fair amount of somethin', when I remember it, which I try often to do.

I got a check from my band manager which started out as somethin', but a trip to the Evil Empire turned it (along with my patience and my belief that humans are basically decent critters) into nothin' in a hurry. Well, nothin' and a healthy dose of guilt, both for shopping there and for spending it all...but Bird now has shoes and clothing for Winter, so it's not like I frittered it away on crap we didn't need. Ahem...I really did need that wrapping paper to live...c'mon, it was blue striped, and shiny! Not buying it? S'OK, I did. I had enough left to go to the grocery store and buy milk, bread, and the all-important colored sugar crystals for the sugar cookies.

It's baking week. Saturday is the cookie swap, and I am a woman on a mission. Twenty dozen cookies, give or take, and that's just for this Saturday - next week is more cookies, and bread, too. Whew! That's a lot of somethin' to share.

My pockets are empty, and so is the bank account, and that's a lot of nothin', but...

I have a Mum who looks after us when we need it (which happens more often than we like), and a roommate (T's best friend since childhood) who pitches in if we unbend our pride enough to ask, and friends and family who won't let us go without the necessities - and you don't get a better somethin' than that!

* I started out this post with nothing to write about, but somehow I stretched in into something - it's a skill that one learns when making a pot of soup last for a week, and I'm glad to have it! I'll try for something better tomorrow.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I've been gone so just now catching up. I, too, prefer to write personal messages on our Christmas cards. It means so much to me when I receive a personalized one that I can't bear to just sign names. The picture of Bird with the man dressed as Santa? Breathtaking! As are all your blog posts...

Kyddryn said...

Susan, welcome home - and thanks.