Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Good Soul

Last week, I wrote a post about turning nothin' into somethin'. I was in an odd sort of mood when I wrote it, stuck between elation that I'd managed to get a winter wardrobe and some new shoes for the Evil Genius and despair that I have so little income to contribute to the household.

I was also feeling rather blessed - I may scrape bottom a lot, but at least I have a bottom to scrape (does that look as funny to you as it does to me??) - some folks have sunk so far that even down is up. I wanted to point out to whoever happened upon my complaint-that-wasn't-a-complaint that I know I have been blessed by Fortuna, that she smiles on me every day (even when I am cross, as I am today, but that's another story). Without Fortuna's blessings, I would have no home to bitch about cleaning, and no car to moan about fueling, and no food to complain about cooking. I know this, and I'm thankful.

Still...

Now and then, I find myself a little more worn in spirit than usual, and I find it cathartic to write it out. That's why I began blogging in the first place - so I could take the thoughts out of my head and release them, relieve some of the pressure in this coconut of mine so it didn't explode.

How bizarre and wonderful is I that I found Blogopolis and the community of strangers who have become a ghostly family, following me silently through the day, offering encouragement, fellowship, and the occasional reality check?

So, back to that post. Someone read it and felt strongly enough about it to e-mail. She wondered if I could use a bit of help with a bill. I declined, because we're not quite there, yet (and I hope we don't get to that place). She's got some troubles of her own brewing in her corner of Blogopolis, but she wanted to help a fellow sojourner in the Blue Nowhere. She didn't want to offend, just to help. Wow. She's a good soul.

You are a good soul, woman. Thank you for reaching out a hand and offering your grasp. You can name yourself in the comments, if you like - I didn't want to out you and open the floodgates....I just wanted to thank a good soul for her kindness, and to let others know that kindness and decency are alive and well - if only here in the oddest of places, this electronic world full of strangers who know each other.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I too found blogging as a cathartic experience. It's also nice to know that no matter what, you still find yourself fortunate.

I agree that it's better to have a bottom to scrape than having no bottom at all...ok this sounded kinda weird, but you know what I mean.

Kyddryn said...

I know what you mean, Chris - I'm glad someone else gets it. :-)

MereCat said...

What a wonderful Christmas story! My thanks also to the anonymous good soul, for reminding me of all the nice people in the blogopolis, and so many other places where you would least expect.

Kyddryn said...

Merecat, I feel the same way.