Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Friday, April 25, 2008

About a Boy

Today's post is an amalgam of thoughts about Bird and a few things he's said in the last few days. I had a late night, last night, and I'm too tired right now to do much more...also, the cats haven't got any food and they're giving me reproachful looks (what, I'm the only one who ever notices and goes to the grocery store??), so I need to amend that situation.
~~~~~
(Written Tuesday)

I love to hear Bird laugh - just now, he's watching Phineas and Ferb (the mummy episode) and it started with a chuckle, then a chortle, then a giggle, then a full-on laugh. Kids laugh with such heartfelt honesty, and you just never know what'll tickle them. It's an auditory gift, that from-the-belly sound, and it invariably brings a smile to my face. Seeing him laugh until he's limp, sprawled on the horrible chair, unable even to hold up his head, is a treat. I know that there will come a time when he reins himself in, become self-conscious about it, but for now...for now, he's free with his joy, and thank goodness for that!
~~~~~
(Things Bird has said in the last few days)

I want to be a paleoncologist. (I asked him if he meant he wanted to study old cancer, and he just gave me a disgusted look and replied "No, mommy, I want to learn about dinosaur bones!" Well, duh!)

The confidents are drifting. (Sometimes my confidence drifts, too...but he meant "continents".)

I love you so much - even if you break your heart, I will fix it. (Dear Lady, thank you for this child...)

Thirty million years ago an asteroid crashed to earth, ending the dinosaurs and making room for humans and race cars. (Hmm...why don't we ever find old race car bones??)

1 comment:

Aunt Becky said...

I just love kids and the way that their minds work. It's awesome.