Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sometimes Fate Has a Ponytail

She must have worked long and hard on it.

Probably the span of a day or more.

It was beautiful, a fine example of her craft, worth admiring. I imagine she was exhausted and proud upon its completion.

Too bad it was gone in one careless instant.

I felt terrible, I truly did - I would have been more careful if I'd seen it there. After all, it was a work of art, a masterwork really, and more, it was her home.

Poor spider.

When she spun that web, fixing it to the tree and my utility trailer and the house, she thought she was in a prime location - plenty of insect traffic, not many birds, solid anchor points. How could she have know I'd need in the trailer? How could she have known that part of her work was strung at my head level? How could she have known that I would walk through that spot when the sun was at the wrong angle, providing no glimmer of warning?

Not until I felt that taut, stretching snap against my head, until I felt that sticky resistance, however brief, against the back trailer door, did I realize someone was living there. Dismayed, I watched the web fall, unable to stop or undo the damage. Larger across than a truck tire, it was magnificent in its scope. I didn't see the eight-legged sister going down with her vessel - perhaps she was up in the tree, relaxing on a twig, waiting for her dinner to deliver itself.

I watched it fall, and was sad...but through my mind flashed a thought - here is a lesson in impermanence. Here is proof that nothing lasts, no matter how secure one may think it, no matter how well one may safeguard against disaster - everything ends.

We can do our best and sometimes it is not enough. Sometimes the great, bumbling, ponytailed head of fate crashes into us, and all we can do is hold on until things steady, rebuild, and get on with life. Perhaps on a higher branch.

9 comments:

Momlady said...

She is strong and she will rebuild.

Holly said...

You know...you often deliver a message that makes me laugh and go, "Wow, that is so true!!" And, I do that all at the same time. Yep. You do that to me quite often.

♥ Braja said...

Well THAT just earned a Diamond Post spot....well done Kyddryn....xo

HermitJim said...

Very nice imagery, my talented friend! Thank you...

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

I just echo everyone above, Lady love. Here, those words that won me, and spun intricately 'long a Universal Truth: Schtuff Happens. Momlady gots it: She'll rebuild.

Or not.
Being fauna, there likely is no question, no "why me?" worry-- naught but do again what needs be done to procure food.

Not sure who has it better there, but I'm leaning towards the not-humans...

Slainte.

Cygnus

Kyddryn said...

Mum, they always do...spiders are a study in patience and determination.

Mizz Holly, I AM glad to bring a smile to your day...and if a thought happens to tag along, so much the better. I have so few of them (thoughts, not smiles...for a dour critter, I sure do smile a lot of late)...

Mizz Braja...wow...I'm honored!!

Mister Hermit, Sir, thank YOU!

Cygnus, love...while being inherently "now" minded has its benefits...living only in the now denies certain anticipations, certain hopes and dreams...and honestly, Sir...I am truly blessed with some of my hopes and dreams and would not give them up for the promise of no sorrow or "why me?' feelings...

Lori ann said...

Congratulations on ♥Brajas Diamond Post spot. You managed to make me feel sorry for the spider, which i think is a first. Terrifing creatures :(
Brilliant writing :)

♥ Braja said...

I came back to read it again cos I loved it....

Kyddryn said...

Lori ann, welcome - thanks for following the link and taking a look! I'm fond of spiders, but I'm weird. I'm glad you liked it.

Mizz Braja, you are welcome any time!