Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Heart Versus Head

A conversation with a friend last night led me to thinking. I know, dangerous.

What do you do when your heart wants one thing and your head another?

When your heart says fly, do you slip from your earthly bonds and soar? What if your head reminds you that there are practicalities to consider before running toward your dreams?

Your heart says "Go!!" but your head says "Patience, bide a while."

Me? I'd like to be a romantic. I'd like to say I let my heart lead me. I can't, though. I'm too pragmatic - too prone to weighing options and considering consequences, considering loss and gain. Boring.

I so seldom let go and do what I want. Annoying, really.

How about you? When head and heart cannot agree, who do you listen to, and why? What have the consequences been, and were they worth it?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Kyddryn..my heart and head are "The Bickerson's"! I tend to follow my heart, which isn't always wise... so I go to my friend, Julie. She is a patient listener and scary smart.
I love how she can take a decision based on "self" and show me how it will effect others in the long run...

So use your heart and head..
make a list put self on the left side and others on the right

how will this decision effect you?
put a (+) for a positive effect and a(- )for a negative effect...be honest with yourself

now do the same for the other's side.

Hope this helps, hon!
btw you're a smart cookie :)

Peace - Rene

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you just have to follow your heart. I usually ask myself if what I do will hurt others, then take the less hurtful path.
YeOldFurt

Kyddryn said...

Mizz Rene, you're sweet. :-) Generally, I look at issues from many angles and try to see what will have the best (or at least, least awful) outcome. This particular post wasn't about anything in particular...more the result of a conversation about how sometimes what one wants isn't what one needs. It's good to have a friend to bounce things off of, too...helps a body gain perspective and clarity. Thanks for popping by!

YOF, a pleasure to see you here! Yep - I try to make choices based on what will do the greatest good or the least harm. It's not always easy, but it does keep me mindful of what I'm doing!

Anonymous said...

I tend to weigh my options, listing pros and cons. After that, I'll take some time thinking about what I've written and TRY to make a decision from there.
Having said that, there are times where I act without thinking. Sometimes because I already know what the right thing to do is and don't need to think about it; other times because it's just one of those stupid things: act before thinking, insert food into mouth.

devilsivy said...

I'm trying to find the border uniting heart and head so I can always walk with one foot on either side.

HermitJim said...

Never an easy choice, my friend! Sometimes the best thing to do is to let the mind work itself around the problem for a day or two...before making any choice!

Being a Scorpio, I have a tendency to follow the heart more than I should! But that's just me...

Walter said...

Whether the heart or the head it does not matter. Both are influential and prone to mistakes. The only thing we need to remember is balance of both. There will be errors but pick-up only the lessons. :-)

♥ Braja said...

It's simple: if it doesn't effect anyone else, I go with what I want. If someone else is involved, head & heart need to meet....