Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fish Story

T is out of town again - he left Wednesday morning before sane people are up, and just a couple of hours after I went to bed.

He leaves on Wednesday mornings because he has to be in the office on Monday and Tuesday afternoons.

On office days, I pack him dinner to take along (he works from four to midnight), usually a sandwich, some chips, a few cookies - you know, standard lunch/dinner-at-the-office fare. Once in a while, though, I pack him leftovers from the previous night's meal...especially on Tuesday, when he missed dinner on Monday and it's something I know he'd like.

Monday this week, I cooked a bit of salmon for dinner - and by "bit", I mean half a sockeye caught wild in Alaska. Mmm. While T has tastes that often run to Krystal burgers and whatever's on the dollar menu at the local drive-through, he does like my cooking enough to eat things he wouldn't have before we met - including salmon, and new potatoes with dill-butter.

Since he missed dining with us Monday, I packed it for his Tuesday dinner and gave him the usual microwave re-heating instructions - heat for thirty seconds at a time, turn over, repeat until food is warm enough for you, enjoy.

It usually works just fine.

Usually.

On Tuesday night, though, something went horribly (and hilariously) wrong. All I can say is, it's a good thing that T works alone in the evening.

He set things in motion, thirty seconds at a time, and left the room for a moment to check on...whatever.

Boom.

No kidding. Boom.

Apparently, I packed him a loaded fish.

Yep. It exploded. All over the interior of the microwave. With a boom.

He said he ran into the room thinking the microwave had exploded or something.

Heh.

It was fine, just redecorated with a salmon-pink interior!

He called me and wanted to know why I didn't warn him, but honestly? I've never exploded anything in a microwave. I don't use them often - just to re-heat the occasional meal when I'm in too much of a hurry for the oven or stovetop, and to make popcorn.

I'm kinda sorry I missed it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha, nice post. You made me very hungry. You wouldn't happen to know any simple salmon rescipes you could provide me with ;)? My buddies and I love fish. We fish alot too. Salmon is one of my favorites so I thought I'd go over to my friends house and cook it for the guys. I'm only 16, im a little novice at cooking... anyways, nice post, peace.

Kyddryn said...

Sure, sugar - take half a fish, cook it perfectly (season with garlic powder, pepper, salt, and dill, bake in a foil pouch at 400 for fifteen to twenty minutes), load it with c-4 and the tell your friends to nuke it while you go get some fresh corn from Iowa. That oughta do it.

It'll make up for the harshing they give you over Hank. :-)