Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

It says "...freedom of...", not "...freedom from...".

"It's amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness. People need to be fed, medicated, educated, clothed, and sheltered, and if we're compassionate we'll help them, but you get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right. There is great joy in helping people, but no joy in doing it at gunpoint." - Penn Jillette







Monday, May 19, 2008

Why blog?

This post is in answer to Foolery's post about blogging. I like Foolery - she's neat. Go have a look, I'll keep.
~~~~~
I started blogging as a way to release some built up anger, resentment, frustration, and creative bursts, and it turned into a daily record of the things my family gets up to. I like having one place to put memories and photographs, too.

I started with MySpace, because I was reading a blog there that tickled me. I now double post on both MySpace and Blogger, although sometimes MySpace gets left behind a little. Lazy and forgetful, me.

I have found blogging to be a way to connect with folks I would otherwise never have met. I've found so many blogs to read that it can take an entire morning to get through them all. Sometimes I just can't, and then I feel guilty...like I'm letting them down. I try to comment, but only when I actually feel I can add to the conversation or have a salient point - I'm not into commenting to generate traffic. I also don't like to just jump in - I prefer to read a little about someone, get a feel for them, before inserting my big fat opinion into their comment page. Sometimes I'm silent because I'm intimidated - there are some wickedly smart people out there, and I'm not sure I can keep up with them...better not to draw their attention (or snark) to little ol' me.

As a side bonus, some of my farther flung family have been reading my bits and pieces, and have been contributing to my memory-store of family anecdotes. It's neat to get e-mails from people I haven't seen in over a decade, catching me up on their goings-on and filling in blank spots of family history to boot.

Foolery gets about 150 hits a day, give or take. Probably three or four of them are me, nosing about for something new to read. 150 a day?? Holy cow! I was delighted to have a dozen or so...and I still am! Every time a new reader comments, I am in a tizzy. I even point to the screen and call people over to look. Heh...such a geek, me. When someone comments here, I try to go visit them and have a read - never know what I'm going to find, and that's half the fun. I read my readers, although sometimes only in weekly chunks when time gets away from me.

While I will post pictures of The Evil Genius, I don't put any up of other folks' kids, nor of grown-ups, and I use nicknames or first initials unless specifically told I don't need to. Heck, I don't even use my own real name, although Kyddryn is my pseudonym for my every online endeavor. I even thought about changing my name to Kyddryn, but was too lazy to do the paper work. I'll freely link to other folks' pages until they tell me not to - I figure, it's the least I can do for being entertained on a regular basis, hook them up with one or two more readers.

Ultimately, I find blogging to be cathartic. I'm so easily riled, of late, that having a place to write out my ire instead of taking it out on my family is a very good thing. I make my Mum laugh, too, which is a nice little extra. I'm saving all of my blogs, because Mum thinks that some day, someone will want to read them. Maybe...but maybe I'm also saving them because I am a pack rat...in real life and electronically. At least a computer is harder to fill up than a house...

So this turned into as much a "how" as a "why" post, but y'all know I tend to blather. Why do you blog?

6 comments:

foolery said...

I KNEW you'd come through, and you can write circles around me and just about everybody, Kyddryn-not-Kyddryn.

And the 150/day has been a hard-scrabble uphill climb, because I've been at this for almost 2 1/2 years. At this time last year I was flying high with maybe 40 hits/day on a good day. It's a lot of work generating new readers, and that's the focus of tonight's or tomorrow night's post.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer!

Laurie @ Foolery

p.s. You make more than just your Mum laugh, you know. :)

Mrs. G. said...

First, it was to try to motivate myself to write daily and now it is because I have met so many cool women. I love your blog name.

chris said...

You know for so long I didn't have any idea what blogging was until I read an article on a magazine 5 months ago and the rest was history.

cactus petunia said...

Just wanted to say: Lovely blog, and shade and sweetwater to you, too!

Kit said...

I blog primarily to keep myself writing on a regular basis. I'm much more consistent when there is an audience (of sorts) for my musings. (Which tells you how very INconsistent I am with paper and pen journals!) When I write on a regular basis, it feels like opening the windows in my head to let some fresh air blow through- and sometimes the muses sweep in on the breeze.

My once-in-a-blue-moon comments from folks reading my blog are an addictive incentive, too. :)

Kyddryn said...

Heh, Laurie, you know I will always take the bait. At least my crazy is predictable!

Mrs.G, I very much enjoy your blog! Thanks - I've ben using "Shade and Sweetwater" to sign letters for years; "Sincerely" didn't float my boat and "Love and other indoor sports" just seems a trifle informal.

Chris, I didn't know what a blog was until a friend told me about them a couple of years ago, and I didn't start one until I needed to vent my spleen (either that or commit homicide). I've somewhat evolved since then, but not much. :-)

Cactus, welcome, and thanks!

Kit, I know just how you feel!