Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thoughtfetti

On Tuesday, Mum, Bird and I went to the craft store, among other errands. Mum needed some fancy thread for her embroidery machine and I needed some more paper for the note cards I'm making. Bird was just along for the ride, but while at the craft store he and Gramlin (what he calls Mum) were exploring (because looking at fifty thousand different pieces of paper is boring if you're an adult - for a kid, it's the absolute pits) and found the aisle full of kid's crafting projects. There they saw, and of course had to add to the cart, the Stuff-a-Saurus. It's a kit with a dino "shell" and some stuffing, a book about dinos, and of course a voice box with roaring dino sound. We stuffed it when we got home, and Bird has named it Ninus. Ninus sleeps with Bird, clutched in his little arms. Every now and then Bird rolls over or move in his sleep, and Ninus roars. I don't know why, but that makes me giggle every time.
~~~~~
I think my son is trying to kill himself. This morning he scampered into my room and wanted to cuddle, which I thought sounded lovely - after a quick detour to the, erm, necessary. While I was otherwise occupied, Bird scaled the bed, crawled under the sheet, and was playing...something. I heard a thud and a clatter and thought he maybe knocked a pillow onto my nightstand - until I heard him start to wail. Turns out, he'd rolled right off the bed and hit the nightstand on his way down...with his spine! Yep...he hit the pointy corner of my big nightstand with his back and will probably have a lovely bruise to show for it. At least he didn't dent himself this time. For a few minutes, I thought he was going to be sick, but he managed to calm down with some kisses and cuddles from mommy. Sigh. I asked him if it still hurt, just now, and he said "No, the cuddles made it better." I still have the magnificent mom powers, it seems. Sweet.
~~~~~
We are having toaster waffles for breakfast, and the Evil Genius has eaten four so far. I say "so far" because I have no idea how many he'll actually pack away - the child is a bottomless pit! I remember Mum saying that to Big Brother when I was little, and I always thought it was hilarious because I had no idea what it really meant. Now, she has my sympathies. Is it only boys who have hollow limbs for storing food?
~~~~~
We are trying to see if Bird can sleep without nappies through the night. I wouldn't mind leaving that expense behind, but so far...not terribly successful. I will likely be doing laundry every day for a while unless I want to go back to nappies at night. I'm thinking of getting several more mattress pads and sheet sets and layering the bottoms so all I have to do is pull 'em off as needed. I did that with crib sheets, layering pads and sheets and just pulling off the top layer when it was soiled so I didn't have to remake the crib eleventy-million times a day (yes, I really am that lazy). Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Aunt Becky said...

Mattress pads are a Godsend.

Good luck, overnight training is hard as hell.

Anonymous said...

By him a helmet, pads, and put padding all over your house. This should do the trick. If you can't do this, then at least enroll him on a martial arts school so he can learn how to hurt roll, jump, flip, etc...LOL

foolery said...

Hi Kyddryn! Been AWOL for a while. Nice to be back.

Sparky is not house trained at night yet either. I'm thinking about doing the same thing, except that she likes to crawl into bed with us in the middle of the night, and I'm NOT changing two beds.

Let me know what works.

Kyddryn said...

Trust Aunt Becky to be so freakin' upbeat about something. :-)

Chris, I don't believe in padding the world...he'll either learn to avoid the corners, knives, broken glass and rabid dogs or deal with them. :-) Martial arts training is in his future, though - I have a friend who teaches them, and the flexibility and focus are good things to know.

Welcome back, Laurie - long time, no see. I was beginning to wonder if I'd pissed ya off...but it looks like you've been busy. Nice to see you again. :-) If I figure out the magic trick to nighttime training, I'll be sharing it...as long as it doesn't involve a cork or something...