Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Mulling Things Over

It's Autumn at last! We've had some nice, cool nights, and one morning last week I even wore my shawl until the sun came up. Hey, y'all may not know this, but I'm a human space-heater - if I want my shawl, it's dang chilly out!

I would like to share with you one of the simplest and most Autumn-y things I know - mulled cider.

Now, I know you can buy those pre-packaged spice bags at the store - some of them are like giant muslin tea bags, some are packets of powder that you mix right in and some (gag) are actually like a mulled-cider version of Kool-Aid, claiming that all you need is to add hot water and you've got cider. Puhleeze.

There's a mulling recipe for just about every family out there. This one's mine - I have been tweaking it for many years. I'd like to share, but know this - you can always tweak it yourself. That's the beauty of something as simple as mulling. Also, it works for wine, if you've a mind for it.

The cast:

A crockpot or large, heavy bottomed pot
One gallon of cider - not apple juice, cider. The stuff with floaty bits in it is best.
Cinnamon sticks - at least one, I usually use three or four (yeah, I live dangerously)
Whole cloves - a dozen or so
Candied ginger - three or four chunks

Please note, no sugar. no honey. No sweetener of any kind. Don't want it, don't need it.

Pour the cider into the crockpot. Turn on low. Add spices, cover. Leave it alone for a few hours. Stir from time to time. When it's good and hot, serve. The longer it brews, the better. You can do this ahead of time and re-warm it when you want it - just strain it into a jug and re-heat in the microwave one cup at a time, or on the stove top, or in that trusty crockpot.

Pour in a tot of applejack, rum, or brandy and whooooeee, you've got some fine Autumn/Winer sippin' goin' on.

2 comments:

Mamma Schmoo said...

MMMMM sounds delicious!! We could use it as it has been falling below 0 here....*shudder* I am not rwady for winter yet.

Happy Thanksgiving (I know yours is a month away but ours is on Monday) :)

Kyddryn said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, sugar! Thanks for stopping in...I hope you're feeling better!