Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Out and About

All photographs were taken with a Kodak Easy Share cx7525 camera and are unretouched. Except for cropping, the pictures have not been manipulated in any way.
Back to the virtual show...on the homestretch, now...the last post in this series will drop on Sunday.
~~~~~


Yellow Roof

Yellow Roof

I fancied there was someone there
Hiding under the yellow roof
Of his mushroom house
Some Gnome or Fay creature
Biding his time until I looked away
And he was gone in a mote of light


Clarkesville, Ga, Dragon’s Rest wood - For someone who dislikes dining on mushrooms, I sure do photograph them a lot. White, red, green, grey, and yellow, when I spot them I’m like a child who has noticed half-buried treasure – I can’t wait to take their picture. It is possible I’m hoping that the photograph will show more than a fungus…that maybe this time, I will see a face peeking from behind the stem. This bright yellow surprise was half-hidden in my mother’s woods, waiting for me to notice and wonder if anyone was home.
~~~~~
The Road Taken


The Road Taken

So many people regret
The road not taken
Wondering “What if…?”
When the day is grey
And the path long
But I…I wonder
About the road taken
What is ahead,
Around the bend,
Beyond the clouds?


Clarkesville, Ga - My Mum and I were en route to the GHCA one Autumn morning when I snapped this picture. It had been raining, but the sun was working to shine through the clouds. It was a good day to be creative…or to sit by a fire with a cup of tea, some cookies, and a good book. I stared out the windows and was awestruck by the road, the trees, the clouds…happy to be there, in the moment.
~~~~~
Suwanee Fountain


Suwanee Fountain

Somehow the light knew
What I wanted
And it obliged


That day, that Summer day in Suwanee Ga, I was so angry. My mouth was pursed, my eyes squinched and mean, my temper short. It was a very bad day to be out in the world, let alone with four little boys of varying ages and dispositions, but my son needed to play with his friends, to be out of the house and moving about, and I needed to be with my friends, too. I squashed that anger down, down, deep down, and played with the boys, all the boys, wrestling them in the grass when they tired of the fountain’s play, and chasing them around the park, squeals of laughter and giddy giggles following after us, streamers of joy. The day changed, the light changed, and for one timeless moment everything was lit within, without, all about. The fountain flowed mercury-silver, time hung all uncertain between minutes, and I forgot that I was angry for a little while.
~~~~~
Smiling Sun


Smiling Sun

He may be faded
Weathered
A bit cracked and creaky
But this old man’s smile
Welcomes all comers
With equal warmth


This wooden sculpture hangs on my mother’s house, almost blending in with the wall. I made her a card of this photo, which she sent as a greeting to a friend in Afghanistan, a reminder of home and friends and the time he’s spent hunting in the woods nearby. Even in the desert, the sun – this sun – is a friend.

1 comment:

Kit said...

I remember that day at the park! I've not seen that photo before- it's gorgeous!