Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Crab Dip A Go-Go

OK, so maybe not a go-go...I'm not entirely sure I know what that means, although it sure is fun to say...but I did make it to go, so does that count? I made this dip for Sunday's reception at the gallery, because what says "Buy my art!!" like crab dip? Also, I noodled with the idea of feeding people this dip and then remarking that folks would get a free breath mint with every photo they bought. Classy, huh? I didn't do that, though. I forgot the mints.

The cast:

14 oz. crab meat
8 oz. package cream cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1 tablespoon Worcestershire
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
3 cloves garlic, pressed
Cayenne pepper - a dash will do
Salt to taste

Aaaand...action!
Soften cream cheese .
Mmm...doesn't that look...well...just awful? Yeah, it doesn't get any prettier...but this isn't about pretty, it's about tasty!

Combine with mayonnaise and sour cream.
For heaven's sake, don't let it sit there looking like this - mix it, quick!

Add Tabasco, Worcestershire, cayenne, salt, garlic and Old Bay seasoning.
I chopped my garlic because I don't have a squeezer-crusher thingy...and anyway, I like chunks o' garlic...don't you?

Stir in crab meat. Taste and adjust seasoning. I ended up using about 16 ounces of crab, an extra clove of garlic (no fear of vampire fish, here), and a few extra shakes of cayenne and Tabasco, because I like the little bit of after burn they provide.

I know it doesn't look very impressive...but looks can be deceiving.

This is a very basic dip - for variation in texture and flavor, add chopped bell peppers or sliced green onions just before serving.

Make a few hours (or better yet, a day) ahead of time and chill thoroughly before serving.

Serve with crackers, Melba toast, or anything suitable for dipping.

2 comments:

MereCat said...

That looks like a really good recipe. Crab dip never actually looks good, it's the taste that matters. I think if it looked good, it probably wouldn't be.

Kyddryn said...

It was quite tasty...but it makes huge batch, so it's definitely for parties and not just for home consumption! I've never seen a pretty crab dip, either...so you may be on to something!