Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

It says "...freedom of...", not "...freedom from...".

"It's amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness. People need to be fed, medicated, educated, clothed, and sheltered, and if we're compassionate we'll help them, but you get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right. There is great joy in helping people, but no joy in doing it at gunpoint." - Penn Jillette







Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cilantro

I have a confession to make. Please don't hate me when you read it. It's shameful, I know but...but...

I don't like cilantro!!

There, I said it. I feel better.

The thing is, cilantro tastes like dish soap to me. If there's a little-bitty, eensy-weensy, teeny-tiny bit of it in something, there's a fair chance I won't notice it. If there's more than one or two cilantro molecules, though, I seem to have the misfortune of finding them, and then my enjoyment of the dish in question is spoiled. All I taste is dish soap.

These days, it seems that everyone is cilantro crazed, putting massive amounts of the stuff in everything. I have to ask at restaurants, because they don't always mention - I hate having to send a dish back because it tastes foul, but I will do it.

Not everyone has this affliction - plenty of folks love cilantro, or at least don't notice it. Why, oh, why, couldn't I be one of those?? I love guacamole, but rarely indulge in it any more because it seems like there's always a cilantro tree in there. Have you ever tried to pick the cilantro out of a spoonful of guac?? Find the little dark-green bits in the pale green mush? Yeah, not so much.

Whatever shall I do about this? Maybe there's a pill...

1 comment:

foolery said...

Oh, that is unfortunate. I LOVE cilantro! Just bought the stuff to make guacamole and salsa for the weekend . . . and there's cilantro, of course. Next time you come I'll make it without, ha ha.

Kyddryn, I got tagged for a meme, and I tagged you. No pressure, but if you'd like the details they're at my blog, Thursday's post.

-- Laurie