Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cilantro

I have a confession to make. Please don't hate me when you read it. It's shameful, I know but...but...

I don't like cilantro!!

There, I said it. I feel better.

The thing is, cilantro tastes like dish soap to me. If there's a little-bitty, eensy-weensy, teeny-tiny bit of it in something, there's a fair chance I won't notice it. If there's more than one or two cilantro molecules, though, I seem to have the misfortune of finding them, and then my enjoyment of the dish in question is spoiled. All I taste is dish soap.

These days, it seems that everyone is cilantro crazed, putting massive amounts of the stuff in everything. I have to ask at restaurants, because they don't always mention - I hate having to send a dish back because it tastes foul, but I will do it.

Not everyone has this affliction - plenty of folks love cilantro, or at least don't notice it. Why, oh, why, couldn't I be one of those?? I love guacamole, but rarely indulge in it any more because it seems like there's always a cilantro tree in there. Have you ever tried to pick the cilantro out of a spoonful of guac?? Find the little dark-green bits in the pale green mush? Yeah, not so much.

Whatever shall I do about this? Maybe there's a pill...

1 comment:

foolery said...

Oh, that is unfortunate. I LOVE cilantro! Just bought the stuff to make guacamole and salsa for the weekend . . . and there's cilantro, of course. Next time you come I'll make it without, ha ha.

Kyddryn, I got tagged for a meme, and I tagged you. No pressure, but if you'd like the details they're at my blog, Thursday's post.

-- Laurie