Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

For Yule

Solstice day... I rose and greeted the sun...

I made a coffee cake for breakfast while the Evil Genius slept in a bit. Once everyone was up and ready to go...
We checked out our stockings and tallied the loot left by The Holly King.
After breakfast and exchanging gifts, we were ready to light the fire outside...but the firemen weren't there! Mum didn't care - she's such a rebel! - and was prepared to light it without their watchful presence. The Evil Genius did not approve, and resisted going outside...until the firetruck rolled up!
Much to his surprise and delight, the "fireman" was a "firewoman", and she gave him a personal tour of the engine, even letting him sit in the driver's seat and tooting the siren once.
Then it was time to get the fire started. Normally, we wouldn't need a burn permit or the fire department, but Mum had some work done down in her woods and had a large burn pile to dispose of...so we figured we'd use it for our yule fire, and why not?
The firefighter wasn't allowed to help light or maintain the fire - she could only contain, make sure we weren't stupid. The fire chief joined us, too.

It was a really nice fire...
...and I had fun photographing the smoke as it played with the sun among the branches of one of the hickory trees...
...where I found one of my kinfolk lying around.
There was a little bit of breeze teasing the smoke, and I played with the black-and-white setting on the camera. I love this shot.
The Evil Genius had a blast - between the fire, Someone wandering around the woods with him, his cousins' visit, and plenty of food and fun, he was a happy kid.
One of the gifts I gave him i a doll. It's an Amish doll, made by Amish folks, dressed like an Amish man (complete with straw hat!), and faceless, because the Amish believe it's wrong to make a graven image. I love them. So does Bird, apparently...
He carried his new friend everywhere with him! The doll's name is Captain Price. I have no idea.
All in all, it was a lovely day at Mum's. The weather was beautiful, it was good to see Big Brother and his family again (it's been almost two years), and we made it home safe, sound, and exhausted.
Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to get ready for the next holiday adventure - traveling up to Something Carolina in two days to meet part of Someone's family...I'll be bringing baked goods for bribes...

3 comments:

Momlady said...

Great pictures, especially the black and white. I'd like a copy of that, please. And it WAS great to have family here.

HermitJim said...

Souds like a good time was had by all...and that's a good thing!

Be safe on the road! Lots of crazies out there...and no, I'm not one of them! I'm staying in town!

Happy Holidays!

Michelle Roebuck said...

Those pictures are so stunningly phenomenal! I'm afraid I don't even have the right adjectives to express their beauty. Just lovely.