Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cover Us, We're Goin' In!

Mum and I are going on a whirlwind, kid-free shopping expedition today. This may well be the one day between now and the holidays we variously celebrate to get it done. The Evil Genius isn't keen on shopping, really, although he tries to be patient with us...and, also, we have an item or two to pick up that he doesn't need to know about. Ahem.

Way back when we were first together - I honestly can't recall if we were dating, engaged, or just married at the time - T and I were braving the frenzy of the mall for some reason...probably because we took leave of our senses. We chanced to pass the Warner Brothers store when a song drifted out. I stopped in my tracks, swivelled, and was drawn into the shop like a cartoon character following a steam trail from a fresh-baked pie.

On a wall of screens in the back, a video played. This video:


I have always loved The Carol of the Bells. This Trans Siberian Orchestra version is my favorite, hands down. This song, this very video, was my introduction to TSO, and I have loved them truly, madly, and deeply ever since.

This song is a good representative of how frantic holiday shopping makes me feel - I am in a mad rush to get it done and relieved to have it over with, even as I enjoy finding the few items I can't or won't make for gifts.

We really do have a number of places to go, but I have a list of stops and what we hope to find at each one, and we'll both be armed with Tasers, pepper spray, and attitude. Also it's a weekday and we're not going to a mall, so we're hoping casualties will be light and we'll be done before midnight.

You have my back, right??

4 comments:

Michelle Roebuck said...

That is, hands down, my favorite song of the season. Recently, an FB friend asked people for their "can't miss" Christmas Holidays traditions - this song and "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" made my list.

Momlady said...

You watch my back and I'll watch yours.

HermitJim said...

Better if I stay here and keep the home fires burning, keep a candle in the window, keep the soup on, keep the coffee hot...everything but going out!

If I had to go...I'd certainly cover your six!

Anonymous said...

That's my favorite song of the season too. I like the version on the "Home Alone" soundtrack, the simplicity of just the children's voices stirs the soul.