Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Friday, December 3, 2010

Relentless

There's a Simpson's episode - please don't ask which one - wherein Bart is being a complete little boy. He's playing, making his own sound effects and music to help fuel his imagination.

Homer is trying to concentrate on something.

He yells at Bart, telling him to be quiet. Bart falls silent, looking hurt...crushed...

Poor Homer.

I know how he felt.

Little boys...little kids...don't have an "off" or a "mute".

They are on 24/7, full tilt. When they're quiet, that's when you worry.

And as much as parent love their kids...whew...sometimes it's difficult not to yell at them to please, for the love of all that's holy, just shut up for a minute; just stop with the incessant noise, the constant barrage of little kidness; I don't need to hear every little thought that flits across your mind, I don't care about the details of whatever game you're playing now, I neither need nor want your presence wherever I am so stop following me around the house and forcing me to be an unwilling audience to your one-man show, and can I have a moment's peace??????

You can't say that to them, though. They don't understand the value of silence or solitude. They don't know about the need for a few minutes to just...think...or stare out into the void...or write uninterrupted. They're kids, and they understand play, and love, and tickling, and the world revolves around them and why wouldn't we want to be/take part in the wonderment that is they?

Children are walking, talking egos.

I love my Evil Genius...even when I'm exasperated. I know I'll miss these days when he's a few years older and won't speak to me for days, surrounded by a fog of sullen teen silence. I know I'll wonder what happen to the hugs, the kisses, the little guy who thought hanging out with/helping Mom was the best thing ever. Knowing, though, doesn't always help...although I've managed, so far, to keep from screaming at him or telling him to just shut up...I must admit my head has throbbed a time or two with the need for that release.

He's just being himself...his wonderful, brilliant, relentless self.

Groan...

4 comments:

Momlady said...

And then there are two, heh, heh.

Unknown said...

I am so glad I am not alone in this.

My 6 year old little girl, Alex, is all mouth. She has to talk from the time she wakes up until the time she goes to bed.

On top of the telling me every thought and detail of her brain, she repeats it all several times a day, often telling me the same story about what happed 2 weeks ago in her class or on the bus...every.single.day.

I have seriously thought about buying some ear plugs lol.

fiona said...

Thank you for sharing, I'm actually a quote junkie. :)

Kyddryn said...

Mum, true...but they'll be eight years apart, so maybe there'll be a bit of respite? Hahahahahahahahah!!!

Bella, I have earplugs...they just encourage the little folks to be louder...

Fiona, my pleasure...