Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Entropy

"...the degradation of the matter and energy in the universe to an ultimate state of inert uniformity; a process of degradation or running down or a trend to disorder..."

The driver's side mirror of my van is falling apart. It cracked a while back, and bits of it are leaving themselves along the highways and secondary roads of Redneck Central, a sparkly trail of mirror crumbs to lead me home again (although I already know how to get to Casa de Crazy from there...wherever "there" is).

The passenger side window occasionally won't continue rolling in whatever direction one wishes it too. It just...stops...and takes a break, enjoys the scenery, lets in the heat, cold, or wet for a bit. Once it's had a rest, it can be coaxed (reluctantly) to finish the job.

Then there's the funny little light that illuminates the dashboard on a regular basis - I already know it's a bad sensor, but at more than $600 a pop to replace 'em...it can stay bad for all I care. Don't panic, it's not an essential item, I asked.

The dishwasher objects to washing dishes. Sometimes it will run busily, but do absolutely nothing. Reminds me of a politician.

The clothes washing machine has developed a peculiarity. It stops mid-wash and refuses to start back up again. Always in the same place in the cycle, just before it drains and rinses. If I hit it in a particular place (always with a fist - open hand slap doesn't work), it will then start back up again and finish the job.

My little cell phone, the sweet wee blue one that I've had for ages? The flippy bit fell off it, the part that lets me answer the phone by opening it. Of course, they don't make it any more...and of course, I can't afford to get a new one...so of course I am having to eke through with my poor broken phone (Did I mention it's blue?? A lovely pale metallic blue? 'Cause it is...), which is doing its best but isn't quite the same as it once was.

The button popped off my favourite pair of blue jeans. It's not the kind that can be sewn back on, it's the sort that looks like a giant rivet that is driven through the fabric.

The french press died a few months ago, and we've been using the drip maker...emphasis on the drip. While Someone likes his coffee, he doesn't generally like it ON him.

The door to the pantry closet won't close unless one lifts up on the knob while pushing the door shut.

Light bulbs are burning out at an alarming rate around here.

How's your Universe holding up??

1 comment:

Momlady said...

Of course....everything always breaks, runs down, or dies at the same time. Especially if you can't afford to fix 'em.