Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

It says "...freedom of...", not "...freedom from...".

"It's amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness. People need to be fed, medicated, educated, clothed, and sheltered, and if we're compassionate we'll help them, but you get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right. There is great joy in helping people, but no joy in doing it at gunpoint." - Penn Jillette







Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thoughtfetti

I was watching an ant make its way across the floor yesterday afternoon, and I wondered about the single-mindedness of the creature...and its fellows. Wouldn't it be grand to be possessed of such focus at will? Imagine what we could accomplish.
~~~~~
I am going to Florida on Thursday, for Aunt D's service. The viewing is an oddity, to me - she's not in that husk, any more, so why stare at it? A bit like looking at an apartment after the tenants have gone - it's never pretty. *

Her service is on Saturday. She was Catholic. It's a mass. I'm still pagan. How long do you think it'll take for the roof to fall in?
~~~~~
Yesterday, overwhelmed with sadness about...well...life, the universe, and everything...I uttered softy "Oh, what am I going to do?"

The Evil Genius heard me, and asked what I'd said. I repeated myself. He cocked his head, thought a moment, and replied "I don't know Mommy, because I am not you."

Good grief.
~~~~~
This weekend, while I'm in Florida with my family, the Ren Fest is having Scots in Kilts days. Oh, fate, you are cruel, cruel, cruel...making me miss kilt days...groan...unfair, I say, unfair! I hope K takes lots of pictures for me to ogle.
~~~~~
I have been writing much, of late. There's a bitter laugh in this - I only write this well, this prolifically, when I am deeply unhappy. Medicate the misery, medicate the creativity, and I need to create more than I need to be happy. Today, for the first time in a long while, I told a friend I was proud of some of what I'd written. Now, if only I could get someone else to like it, publish it, pay me millions, and fund the rest of my dreams...
~~~~~
To that ends, I was delighted to find that a woman who like the band sent me several names and resources for publishing, and offered to answer any questions I may have about submitting work. I now have one of the key tools a writer needs - an already established author recommending them to a publisher/agent! Now to get off my forty-three acre ass and do something with my words... I'll keep you posted (because I know you're waiting with bated breath).


*edit - Mum called this morning to inform me that it's not a viewing but rather a visitation, which is something of a relief because I was a wee worried about attending a viewing for someone dead a week - I mean, I know all about the wonders of modern refrigeration, and all....but a week was worrisome.

1 comment:

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

I'd hate to think, all the words..

"i only write this [much] when I'm deeply unhappy..."

but i needs not think. i KNOW...

better...

I hope the Author's recommendations pan out for you, Lady K.

On to the Williamette Valley, then...