Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Mmmm, Brownies...

T wanted brownies on Friday night. I usually keep a box mix or twenty two in the pantry, so I told him to heat the oven and eventually I'd get 'round to brownies. Now, T's no dummy - he knows that "eventually" could be quite a long while...so he decided to make them himself.

Don't get me wrong, I like homemade brownies as much as the next person - fudgy, chewy, warm, with vanilla bean ice cream, they're hard to beat. When you're in a rush, though, Betty Crocker Ultimate Fudge brownies are a fine substitute.

He asked me about a few steps (like where the brownie pan lives - in the cupboard with the mixing bowls, natch; what I use to grease the pan - butter; and what kind of oil I use - canola, in the pantry a few shelves down from the top) and wanted me to check the texture of the batter, then poured and baked.

When they were done, he asked me when I put the frosting on.

Umm...frosting? The only brownies I frost are the Double-Double Ghiradelli brownies I make on very rare occasions when I want to get high on chocolate fumes...or anesthetize the chocolate center of my brain.

He was confused - don't I use the frosting?

Umm...what frosting?

I had to go look.

Oops.

You know how they're called Ultimate Fudge Brownies? And on the box there's a picture of a pouch of Hershey's chocolate? And, if you read the directions, it tells you to empty the pouch into the batter and stir it in?

And you know how sometimes, one in a while, on rare occasions, guys might not stop for read the directions?

Guess what? If you ever make Betty Crocker Ultimate Fudge brownies and you forget to add the pouch of fudgy goodness? You can just empty it over the top of the still-warm brownies, spread it evenly, and....yep, still awfully good!

T said he felt stupid...I just laughed and tried to tell him it was OK...that lots of culinary brilliance came from such mistakes. I don't think he bought it.

Hey T, if it makes you feel any better? I think those brownies added five acres back onto my ass.

3 comments:

Susan said...

You handled that beautifully. I think I'm going to try that idea... the brownies, I mean. I refuse to handle anything gracefully.

Suzy said...

That's pretty funny. Hmmm, a man who doesn't read directions? Never heard of them.

Kyddryn said...

Susan, brownies cure a lot of ills. Especially when you put ExLax in them and leave them for others to find...

Suzy, it's because you never get out. If you were worldy like me, you'd know about these things.