Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Health Food

Hey, y'all. It's raining at Casa de Crazy today, so we can't go outside to frolic in the dirt. No worries, there's plenty to do indoors as long as you like cleaning, laundry, and bleach related activities. Yeah. I decided the kitchen was my demesne today, and baked banana bread...but that wasn't enough. No, I wanted something meaty (hush, Google Pervs!), so I made Scotch Eggs (one of my Ren Fest favorites).

Much to my dismay surprise, they don't involve liquor. Huh. They are, however, a right handy way to use up your Ostara (or Easter, if you must) eggs besides the ubiquitous Dyed Egg Salad.

The players:
6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and preferably chilled
1 pound bulk sausage
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten (great way to use up some aggression)(not that I need to or anything)(I'm just sayin')
3/4 cup bread crumbs
Oil. Lots and lots of oil.

I also hauled the Super Fryolator of Doom out for this recipe.

Here we go.

Start the Super Fryolator of Doom heating the oil - you want it to be between 350 and 370 (F, not C, because wow...) when you're ready to cook these babies.

Evenly divide the sausage into 6 parts. I know! Division! Math! but...but...this is cooking!! Sigh. It's also how I teach the Evil Genius his chemistry, but don't tell him that.

Dredge the peeled eggs in the flour and gently brush off the excess - you just want a light dusting on 'em.

Take one portion of the sausage and flatten it into a vaguely circular/oblongish shape and wrap the egg in it.
Make sure to cover the whole egg and try to keep an even layer, but don't make yourself crazy over it.
Roll this texture fiesta in the egg, making it even more fun to handle.

Roll the ball in the bread crumbs, making sure to coat the whole thing.

Drop that sucker Carefully place the croquet-ball of cholesterol egg in the oil and fry for 4 - 5 minutes or until a loverly golden brown all over. Don't rush this step because you want that sausage to be cooked.

Drain well.

Mmm...crispy...why isn't "crispy" a food group??

Serve warm or cold, with spicy mustard on the side.

For a little extra oomph, you could add some sage, thyme, and/or cayenne to the sausage. You could also add salt, pepper, onion powder, and/or garlic powder the flour mixture. It's your Breakfast/brunch/lunch/dinner/midnight snack...go crazy.

Nom, nom, nom...uh...is that my artery hardening??

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow, those look decadent! My son would die of a happy heart if I made those for him. I have a fryolator but it is totally covered with dust in the basement (with the oil still in it of course!). It might be easier to buy a new one that clean the old one.

Nice catching up with you again.

Momlady said...

Yup,I can hear your arteries going "I'm getting harder, I'm getting harder" now. They do look good, however.

Kyddryn said...

Laurie, welcome back. Yep, sometimes cleaning the Fryolator is worse than buying a new one...but this one was put away clean and empty after the last use (some ten years ago, if you can believe it!), so it ws in OK condition. I adore Scotch Eggs, but I won't make them often...I have worked too hard to get my fifty acre ass down to forty acres!

Mum...mmmmm...

Susan said...

Yum, yum and yum. Will the eggs peel if I don't completely hardboil them? I love a runny yolk...