Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

It says "...freedom of...", not "...freedom from...".

Nolite te bastardes carburundorum!

"It's amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness. People need to be fed, medicated, educated, clothed, and sheltered, and if we're compassionate we'll help them, but you get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right. There is great joy in helping people, but no joy in doing it at gunpoint." - Penn Jillette

Monday, February 1, 2010

Square

The cruise we're taking is a quilter's cruise. One of the activities actually happened before the cruise even began - they sent every registered guest a piece of fabric and some simple instructions; make a 12.5 inch x 12.5 inch square using this fabric and the theme "Life's a Beach".
The winner gets a prize (Mum won last time and got a discount on her next cruise) and their choice of the squares to take home and make into a quilt to remember their cruise by. I think second place gets to pick squares too.

I am up against women who have been quilting for longer than I've been alive, and sincerely doubt I'll even place in the top fifty...but I am game for the challenge. I decided to make a square after a collage card I did, a tropical scene made of bits of carefully cut and glues paper. Alas, it sold before I ever had a chance to photograph it. C'est la vie.

So below is my square. I cut and hand stitched each piece, making an appliqued square. The hammock? I had to take apart four-ply yarn t get one ply, just thin enough to match the scale of the square, and I crocheted it several times to get it right. Nothing like working on a project when you don't have any clue as to technique!

The challenge fabric is the bright blue that I used for the shallow water.

If you can't figure out what the rest of it is, don't tell me...I may cry.




I do hope whoever wins likes my square enough to claim it...

I'll let you know when I get home.

3 comments:

HermitJim said...

Nice...very nice! Proud of you, my friend!

Enjoy the trip...!

Momlady said...

I think it's a winner. Love the hammock.

Cygnus MacLlyr said...

I'm with momlady. And the uncle...