Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

It says "...freedom of...", not "...freedom from...".

"It's amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness. People need to be fed, medicated, educated, clothed, and sheltered, and if we're compassionate we'll help them, but you get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right. There is great joy in helping people, but no joy in doing it at gunpoint." - Penn Jillette







Monday, May 10, 2010

Small Wonders

I spent the morning inspecting our yard. I've gotten into the habit of checking on all the plants - I love watching them sprout, grow, flower and fruit.

Sometimes, I have to look carefully for signs of growth and change. They amaze me, these growing things.

There's something about the tendrils, so fragile, so determined...

I admire their tenacity.

The peas are shy in the beginning, hiding their first flowers.

A nascent cabbage.

The carrots, feathery and small, are finally coming along. Bird can't wait to pull one up and eat it fresh.

Sometimes I can see the fruit in the flower, hope and promise in a wee blossom.

The dill didn't want to be photographed.

The sage may not be very big, but it's strong...

...and the basil is promising. I am dreaming of fresh pesto and homemade pasta sauce.

We've had some berries from these plants, and there's nothing like 'em. Warm, sweet, succulent - we're already planning to expand the bed next year.

We have a Lima bean flower! I adore Lima beans.

I had never seen a bean flower before today. Pretty...

A pregnant pod...
How does your garden grow?

2 comments:

Momlady said...

If the deer didn't get everything I'd have a garden. The strawberries in pots are doing well, though.

HermitJim said...

Isn't it a treat to look through the flowering plants and find something like a small tomato, or cuke, or anything else that will fall prey to the dinner table?

Soon I'll be taking a salt shaker to the garden spot with me...just in case!

It's all looking good, my friend!