Quote of the day...er...week...umm...hey, look, a quote!!

"...besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child." - Bryce Courtenay, The Power of One

For old quotes, look here.

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Sweet Surrender

I think that to love is to open.  To love is to become vulnerable to all that is painful.  To love is to accept that we will inevitably lose, to accept that what we love may one day spread wide its wings and fly away, leaving us bereft, but in the meantime?  In the meantime we have this glorious thing perched upon our hearts.

I think that to love we must understand grief, and hatred, and fear, and accept that loving can be these things and more.  I think that to love we must understand laughter, and compassion, and loyalty and accept that loving can be these things and more.  I think we must accept that we will be marked, scarred, painted, made weak, made strong.

I think that love is not blind, it is eyes wide open and seeing the depths and the truths and loving them as part of the whole.

I think that loving is letting go of ego and our perception of how we and all other beings should be, accepting that what is may not be what we want, or think we want, but it is enough and we are enough and love isn't a thing of definitions or boundaries.

I think that love is not earned, it is given and received freely.  It is not predicated upon a paycheck or bank account or possessions or window dressing.  It is far deeper.

I think that love can be terrifying and mysterious and a burden and a marvel.

I think that questioning the how or the why of love is a fool's pastime.

I think that accepting love is a Herculean task.

I believe that we are all equal to that task, if we allow ourselves to be.

No comments: